Fabric by Missy Rose | Rayon Fabric
Rayon fabric is lusciously soft and renowned for its versatility, drape and comfortable wear. Similar in feel to silk or satin, rayon is breathable and lightweight, making it ideal for everything from dressmaking to crafts and interior design.
Fabric by Missy Rose offers an array of high-quality rayon fabric designs for your upcoming sewing project. Here’s how to make the most of sewing with rayon material.
What are the advantages of rayon fabric?
Rayon fabric is soft and smooth
Rayon is soft, cool to touch, gentle on the skin and comfortable to wear. Rayon fabric looks and feels luxurious and thick, flowing wonderfully through your fingers. It has a sheen and smoothness similar to silk.
Rayon has amazing drape
Rayon cloth is famed for its gorgeous drape, falling close to the body and conforming to body shape without clinging. High quality rayon is perfect for clothing where you want to achieve a lightweight, flowy look. It is considered one of the best fabrics to design dresses with heavy drapery.
What are the disadvantages of rayon fabric?
Rayon is not suitable for all sewing projects
Rayon is non-stretch. Because the fibres are hygroscopic and contain tiny micropores that soak up and hold water, we don’t recommend using rayon for garments that are intended to get wet or absorb a lot of sweat, such as active wear or swimwear.
Rayon requires special care
Rayon creases and wrinkles very easily. Since the fabric is quite delicate and fragile, it’s best to take care when ironing rayon. It is also vulnerable to fading with frequent or prolonged sun exposure.
Do you have any tips for sewing with rayon fabric?
1. When choosing a pattern for your rayon fabric, opt for a pattern with drape that is loose fitting.
2. Pre-washing is vital.
3. When cutting rayon, use a very sharp rotary cutter or fabric shears.
4. Use lots of pattern weights to secure the pattern and help stop the fabric from moving around. If you don’t have those, use lots of pins. Use very sharp pins and place them within the seam allowance to prevent the fabric from snagging. Lay your fabric down on a flat surface to pin seams together.
5. Avoid fabric shifting. Be extra mindful to lay out and cut your fabric on the grain.
6. Since rayon can stretch, stay stitch your necklines and any curves before sewing.
7. When sewing with rayon, use a smaller, more delicate stitch to prevent any fraying beyond the seam line.
8. Be careful to avoid stretching or tugging the fabric as you sew. Pay extra attention to how much tension you're applying to your fabric as you feed it through your sewing machine.
9. Use a very light interfacing to provide some stability to support the construction of your clothing, without ruining the drape of your fabric.
10. Ideally, let your nearly finished rayon garment hang on a dress hanger for at least 24 hours to even up the hem before hemming it.
11. When ironing the seams or hems of your garment, lift and press your iron, rather than going back and forth over the fabric. Too much pressing can cause your rayon fabric to stretch.
12. Take your time when sewing with rayon. Sew a small amount and re-adjust your fabric, while making sure your raw edges stay well-aligned.
What can rayon fabric be used for?
Rayon fabric’s drape and comfort make it ideal for creating lightweight clothing such as circle skirts, vintage dresses, blouses and summer dresses. We have both printed rayon fabric and floral rayon fabric available, so feel free to browse make your next sewing project extra special.
Frequently Asked Questions about rayon fabric:
What is rayon material made of? How is rayon fabric produced?
Rayon fabric is a semi-synthetic fabric. To create it, purified cellulose fibres harvested from wood pulp or bamboo are blended together, dissolved into a soluble compound and processed to create filaments which are chemically solidified, resulting in fibres of nearly pure cellulose. This manufacturing process gives rayon its honey-like texture.
How does rayon fabric feel to touch?
Due to its high initial thermal conductivity, rayon cloth feels cool to touch. The texture is luxuriously soft and supple. It does not build up static electricity or pill over time.
Is rayon suitable for summer?
Rayon is as breathable as cotton, does not trap body heat and stays remarkably cool in dry, hot or humid climates. This makes it ideal for summer sewing projects, including dresses, tank tops and loose, flowy pants. However, rayon won’t wick away moisture as well as completely natural fabrics such as cotton.
What needle should I use to sew with rayon fabric?
The best needle for rayon fabric is either a universal needle with a weight of 80/12, or an extra sharp ball point needle – a 75/11 or 80/11.
What is the best thread for sewing with rayon fabric?
For rayon fabric, we recommend cotton or polyester thread. Cotton thread of medium thickness is ideal when working with lightweight, medium-weight fabrics like rayon. Polyester is also a good choice because it has stretch and won’t break easily. Most polyester threads have been treated with a wax or silicone coating that allows the thread to slide through fabric easily.
How do you wash rayon? Does rayon fabric shrink?
Since rayon fabric has a tendency to shrink with warm or hot washing, it’s best to prewash before you start sewing. After your garment is sewn, continue to machine wash it on a cold cycle or hand wash it with mild detergent, before letting it air dry. Dry-cleaning is also an option.
Can I buy rayon fabric by the metre here?
Of course. Simply view and select the woven fabric you’d like to buy, specify a length and quantity, and click ‘Add to Cart’.